Why does my Yamaha Golf Cart not go in reverse?
A Yamaha golf cart may not go in reverse due to a faulty F&R switch, bad controller, or because the shift fork is clogged up.
- Clogging of the shift fork
- Malfunction of the F & R switch
- When the controller doesn’t work
- Wires are not connected properly
- Issues with acceleration
Clogging of the shift fork
Debris from rocks or smoke can clog the shift fork of your Yamaha Golf Cart. You have to open the shift casing in order to check whether the shift fork is clogged or not.
You have to clean all of the greases to make your Yamaha Go Cart move in the reverse direction.
Malfunction of the F & R switch
This is one of the basic reasons why your Golf Cart won’t work. F & R switch stands for ‘Forward and reverse.’
These switches help you to move back and forward easily. Even if they get easily damaged, it is easier to get it repaired. If it has gotten extremely old, you will have to change it.
When the controller doesn’t work
Controllers are mostly using for moving forward and backward. If you break the controller for reverse, then your cart will only move forward and vice-versa. This mean you will have to replace the controller.
Although it is not that expensive, only a professional can install it safely.
Wires are not connected properly
Wires can be an issue as your Yamaha Golf Cart depends on it. These might not be connected properly. You can try to swap these wires to see if your Golf Cart starts moving or not.
Issues with acceleration
Acceleration can be an issue when going in reverse. Switch on the accelerator and check if the cart is going through some jerky movements.
The chances are that the accelerator may have worn out or needs to get replaced as soon as possible.
How can you fix your Yamaha G1 golf cart not reversing?
The reason why your Yamaha G1 Golf cart is not moving forward is because a faulty solenoid.
If your golf cart moves forward but not in reverse, you need to replace your solenoids.
Here is what you need to do:
- You will need a few tools to check the solenoids of your Yamaha G1 golf cart. For that, you will need a multimeter or voltmeter and ½ “wrench.
- You have to disconnect the wires from the two big terminals of the solenoid. Always, keep in mind to cover them in tapes correctly.
- The switch for cart direction should be placed in a neutral position as well as the key should be turned off. Use the voltmeter to check the reading. Ideally, you shouldn’t be able to get any reading.
- You have to switch on the cart’s direction forward and step on the accelerator. You are maybe able to hear a click from the solenoid. Set the reading of the voltmeter to ohms. You have to place the probes on the terminals, and if the reading comes higher than 0-0.4 ohms, you need to change the solenoid.
How to fix your Yamaha G2 Golf cart no reverse?
Here is what you need to do:
- You have to change the forward and reverse cables, and for that, you need to look down under the generator of your Yamaha G2 Golf Cart.
- Now, you need to turn to the passenger’s side under the generator.
- You will be able to find a tube that holds the wires together.
- Now, you need to restore the wires with fresh new ones.
If your Yamaha G2 golf cart is not moving in reverse, you need to spray the cables present at the lever’s rear end with oil.
You might also need to spray the shifter lever to make the golf cart move in reverse. You can also try to change the forward and reverse cable.
How to fix your Yamaha G9 golf cart no reverse
Your Yamaha G9 golf cart might not move in reverse mode as the cables might have frozen. You will need good lubricating oil to make it work.
How to fix:
- You will need a good lubricating oil to make it work.
- Go near your Yamaha G9 Golf cart and look for the jackets near the shifter handle.
- Spray the lubricating oil into the jackets.
- Then you need to slide off the dust caps. These caps are made up of rubber and can be easily recognized.
- You need to use the given straw to lubricate these caps.
How to fix your Yamaha G16 golf cart no reverse
The reverse switch of the G16 golf cart can be responsible for no reverse. The mechanical contact can be the issue.
- You need to get a blueprint of your Yamaha G16 Gold cart. It will help you to look for the reverse switch easily. The blueprint is available online.
- When you have found the reverse switch, you need to switch the forward and reverse wires from the switch.
- Check if you have only the reverse one.
- If that is the case, the switch needs to be looked after. Call professionals as soon as possible.
How to fix your Yamaha G29 golf cart no reverse?
If your Yamaha G29 golf cart cannot gain access to reverse gear, you may have to check the controller. However, you need to check the fuse too.
- You have to find a blueprint of your Yamaha G29 Golf cart to access the controller and the fuse. It is readily available online.
- Check right behind the driver’s seat.
- You can find the controller at the back of the battery bank.