What is the Average speed of a golf cart?
A standard version of an electric golf cart produces more than enough power, with an average speed of 12 to 14 mph (19.3 to 22.5 kph). Keep in mind that even good golf carts won’t go faster than 25 miles per hour.
The power and speed of a golf cart depends mainly on its usability. For example, if the primary purpose of using cart is for hauling, then you might want to add some torque.
On the other hand, if you are driving the cart around neighborhood, a boost in speed is preferable.
Low-speed vehicles like golf carts are permitted in 35 mph zones since they can easily travel 20 to 25 mph. You can fit your cart with headlights, seat belts, rearview mirrors and taillights, to make your vehicle street legal.
What Is Torque
Before proceeding any further, it’s important that you understand what torque is and how it affects your golf cart.
Torque is the pulling power of a golf cart motor and is a function of current. It means, the higher the current gets, the more torque that is produced.
If you operate any vehicle with a very low level of torque, you will find the vehicle struggle to accelerate and travel up hills.
How to Give an Electric Golf Cart More Torque
How do you get more torque from electrical golf carts? The first thing you need to understand is what voltage is used for. Voltage is equivalent to speed and Amperage, which together; is known as torque.
If you’re aiming to get more speed from your club car or other electric golf cart, it’s mandatory to increase the motor RPM (revs per minute).
Here are two methods of increasing motor RPM:
- Select a motor with the highest rated RPM so you can leave your voltage alone.
- Another option is to provide the current engine with extra voltage. It helps you to keep the present motor and add-on extra voltage, to enhance the top speed.
I would advise against artificially increasing voltage this is likely to damage the motor in the long run. Only electronic experts should attempt increasing the volts and even then; it’s still not advised.
Quick Tip: How can I speed up my golf cart?
What Is Voltage
In technical terms, voltage refers to the potential difference placed between two points in an electrical field.
The difference, placed in electric potential between 2 points in a static electric field, is defined as work needed per unit of charge for moving a test charge between the major points.
- In the case of the International System of Units, the voltage’s derived unit is called a volt. In the SI units, the work per unit charge is stated as joules per coulomb. Here, the 1 volt is equivalent to 1 joule per 1 coulomb.
- The official SI for volt will use current and power. Here, 1 volt is equivalent to 1 watt per 1 ampere. This definition is more or less the same to commonly used “joules per coulomb.”
- The electric potential or voltage difference is noted symbolically by ∆V, but mostly as V.
How to Work Out the Voltage of Your Golf Cart
In order to work out the power potential and speed of your golf cart, it is essential to know its voltage first. To know if the golf cart you own is of 36 V or 48 V, there are some steps you have to follow.
- First, lift the seat to view the compartment where the battery is stored.
- Next, you need to count the number of holes on top of each battery.
- Remove the cap from the battery in order to see the holes.
- Multiply the number of holes by two. This helps you determine the battery voltage of golf cart you own.
- For the last step, you have to increase the battery voltage of the golf cart by total batteries owned.
Remember that it’s important you maintain the condition of your golf cart battery. By cleaning terminals and cords regularly, you will maintain an optimal flow of voltage.
How fast can a 36v golf cart go
So, you are aiming to invest some dollars in purchasing a 36v golf cart. But before that, it is really important to know how fast a 36v golf cart can really go.
A typical 36v golf cart will have battery configuration of around 6-volt batteries. These golf carts are ideal for moving around on a flat surfaced golf course or neighborhood travelling at a speed of 10 to 12 mph (19.3 to 22.5 kph).
If you want to, you can easily upgrade the golf cart for adding some more speed. Apart from that, you have some other benefits, making 36v golf cart a perfect choice for golfers.
- Even though golf carts are quite an expensive investment, when compared to 48v golf cart, the 36v can usually be found for a cheaper price.
- Also trying to replace the batteries of this model is more affordable than before as this golf cart consists of (6) 6-volt batteries.
- The controllers and stock motors of a 36v golf cart will prove to be easily replaceable and within your affordable rates.
These are some of the proven points on why you should end up investing some of your hard earned money to buy a 36v golf cart now.
How Fast can a 48v Golf Cart Go
When it comes to electric golf carts, a 36v golf cart is not the only option you have. The market has a 48v golf cart for you to purchase as well.
48v golf cars are powered by (6) 8 Volt batteries or (4) 12 Volt batteries in the Club Car Precedent carts. On average 48V golf carts are designed to travel at a top speed of 20 MPH (32 KPH).
However you can make these carts run a lot faster by doing the following steps:
- You can easily purchase larger tires. If the diameter of the wheels is larger, the golf cart will run faster. The standard carts will have a maximum capacity of 20 inches for tires without the need for block lift or lift kit.
The standard golf cart tires are around 18 inches. So, upgrading them to 20 inches will add another 2 MPH to the speed.
- You can also try upgrading the torque by using a torque upgrade kit or a controller upgrade kit.
When upgrading the speed of a golf cart, you must always be very careful. These carts have set speed rates for a good reason. You should never travel at the top speed for long periods of time; otherwise you run the risk of damaging your engine. Instead, you should keep a constant speed of 12 to 15MPH.
How Fast Can a Gas Powered Golf Cart Go
Electric carts are generally made for recreational use. But, in terms of versatility and performance, gas golf carts are a better choice. Gas models pack more power and are made to be dependable.
Now, the market houses multiple types of gas powered golf carts, and each one has a separate speed to it. For the best purchase, don’t forget to test drive the golf carts.
Each model will have a different feel and handle. So, if you are not comfortable, don’t be shy to try another model.
- One such example of a gas-based golf cart is Club Car Carryall 295. This is one of the most versatile cars today and spacious too. It has a compact size when compared to other models.
This cart has a top speed of around 25 mph and power output of around 23 horsepower. Being 25 mph, it’s around 8 miles faster when compared to other models of the same class.
- Another example is that of Yamaha Adventurer Super Hauler. The maximum power output of this golf cart is 11.4 horsepower with a maximum speed of 15 mph. It has a turning circle of around 13.5 feet.
- The Cushman Shuttle 2 is yet another example of a gas model golf cart. It carries a maximum of two people, and has a top speed of 16 mph. It has a fuel capacity of around 5.8 gallons.
How to Change Speed Setting on a Gas Club Car
You have a number of things to consider before making gas club car run faster. However, the basic idea is to increase the golf carts torque and power. To do this, follow the steps listed below.
- First, tighten the governor spring located in the engine of most golf carts. Doing this helps to adjust the cart’s top speed.
- Next, you have to lift the seat up to reveal the engine.
- Remove screws from the plastic cover and follow the thickest cable coming from the gas pedal. Follow the cable until you find the spring wrapped around metal rod.
- Next, loosen the small nut and tighten the larger one. Tighten up the small nut on the governor to keep the spring in place.
- Then replace the blank cover and start driving!
Always remember that increasing the speed will cause your engine to wear out faster. I find it handy to keep spare replacements parts nearby in the glove compartment.
How Fast Can an Electric Golf Cart Go
After checking out the specifications of an electric golf cart, an average 36-volt motor is capable of running at 10 to 12 mph on a flat surface area on the golf course.
On the other hand, the 48-volt motor has the capability to run at 15 to 25 mph, as its top speed.
No matter what the stock standard speed limit is set to, it will be possible to upgrade your carts speed by increasing the power and torque levels.
What is the Fastest Electric golf cart?
The fastest EZGO electric golf cart is the EZGO Freedom RXV which can reach speeds up to 19.5mph.
Make your Golf Cart go Faster! Read My 5 Tips To Speed Up Your Golf Cart